History of Early American Automobile Industry
1916Home Forward Contents
Without one little hiccup, 1916 took up where 1915 left off. In every category, the industry continued to improve by leaps and bounds. by the summer, some makers had seen their orders for aubomibles quadruple from the year before and profits were doubling across the board. As usual, Ford was leading the way. Their seasonal sales had reached the 500,000 mark and had $35,000,000 in the bank. a figure of 1,000,000 cars for the coming season was predicted. Overland had the second highest total with 150,000 sold. Parts suppliers were expanding their factory sizes to keep up with the demand.
By year's end, the Dixie Highway was almost completed and over 25,000 cars had traveled the entire route. Plans got under way for the Andrew Jackson Highway that was starting in Chicago, IL and ending at New Orleans. The route was through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennesee., and Louisana. A trans-continental highway, called Lewis and Clark, from Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA, was to be formally launched at a meeting soon to be held in February in Omaha.
By this time, most manufacturers had stopped making major yearly model changes.The only changes were updating engine sizes from four to sixes and to eights. and some from eights to sixes.
The price of gasoline was constantly on the rise and experimenting with every idea that was conceived was tried. The median price per gallon was 23 cents. A high as 40 cents per gallon was predicted by years end. One of the reasons was the Texas oil fields were being depleted. The enlargement of cylinder numbers drastically reduced the miles per gallon.
On a smaller scale, another business was being used by the automobile as reported in the January 6 issue of the Motor Age Magazine. " Montgomery, Ala., Jan. 5In characteristic fashion, M. J. Rambo, known to revenue officers as the "motorized moonshiner," met his death a few days ago, in Covington county, Ala. Rambo was accustomed to remove his illicitly manufactured whisky from his still by motor car and had succeeded in evading the officers for some time. On his last trip, however, he overloaded the car and it broke down on the road. Revenue officers came upon him near his still. Rambo opened fire and wounded one of the deputies. A fusillade of shots followed and Rambo was killed."
One of the greatest agreements to come from the industry was reported in the Jan 7 Issue, Motor Age Magazine
YORK, Jan. 7Announcement was made yesterday that the cross licensing agreement in
connection with patent rights, which had been under way among the manufacturers of the
National Automobile Chamber of Commerce, has become effective through the joining in. the
agreement of seventy-nine companies whose verified patents exceed 350, and when are all
recorded, are expected to run to 500 or more, covering all the various forms of detail
construction found in motor cars. Under this plan, makers license one another under the
patents which they control, all with a view to avoiding litigation on the minor forms of
improvements in motor car construction which have developed with the business, but which
Freedom of Originality
Manufacturing companies are left free to display their originality along the line of design patents, while of course basis patents or those of a fundamental nature do not come within the operation of the agreement.he strongest argument in favor of the cross-lieensing agreement has been the fact that no matter how many patents any single company owned, it was certain that license rights under the aggregation of patents of all the other companies would be of more value than any one member's ndividual patents. The successful outcome of this interchange of patent rights is expected to cement to an even more marked degree, the co-operative spirit that has been a dominant factor in the great success of the motor industry
Copied from the Motor Age Magazine
YORK, Feb. 18The United States circuit court of appeals, Justice Laeombe presiding,
has just handed down a decision affirming the decision of Justice Hunt, C. J., in the
United States district court, who declared the Perlman demountable rim patent valid, and
infringed by the Standard Welding Co., Cleveland, O. An injunction and accounting order
1916 Gray and Davis Advertisement
Motor Age Magazine
The Laurel Motor Car Co., Bichmond, Ind., announces a new four-cylinder car to sell at $750, and soon will have ready a six that will sell somewhat under the $1,000 mark. Details of the six are not forthcoming at the present time, but specifications of the four include a blockcast motor with cylinders measuring 31/2 by 43/4 inches, rated at 22.5 horsepower at 935 feet piston speed per minute, instead of at 1,000 feet of piston speed per minute, as given in the usual practices, according to the N. A. C. C. formula. Valves are extra large and much care has been taken in the timing arrangement so that a large amount of power is available. Under actual brake test the motor is said to give 31.9 horsepower at2,000 r.p.m., and 36.9 horsepower at 2,800 r.p.m.
1916 Laurel Automobile
The Laurel Motor Car Company,Richamond, IN, announced its plans to build the Lauel automobile that was to be a four-cylinder touring car for $795. 213 cars were built. In November, the company was reorganized as the Laurel Motors Corporation and moved to Anderson, IN. The new Laurel engine was to be a Roof 16-valve engine. The company was only able to build a few cars each year until 1920 when it ceased operations.
1916 MOTOR AGE Magazine
A Sun SIX car has been put on the market by the Sun Motor Car Co., of Elkhart, Ind., in five-passenger touring, four-passenger roadster and five-passenger sedan style . The touring car models are listed at $1,095. Although this is an assembled car, in exterior appearance the lines are characteristic. The wheelbase is 116 inches and this space has been used in a way to give good body room in both the forward andrear compartments. The motor is a six-cylinder L-head 3-by 5 with removable cylinder head and featured by what the Sun company calls a dual ejector exhaust, the idea of this being that the ejector principle is used in having the exhaust from one cylinder create a vacuum to lessen the back pressure on the next cylinder. Both the intake manifold and the hot-air connections for the carbureter are integral with the cylinder casting. The 20-gallon gasoline tank is placed at the rear of the chassis and fuel is fed to the carbureter by the Stewart vacuum system. The carbureter is a Bayfield.
to the majority of 1917 announcements the Sun company has left the prices where they were,
these ranging from $1,095 to $1,295. The double cowl is found on the four-passenger
roadster and seven-passenger touring bodies. These are built with high body sides which
almost eliminate any rise in the body line at the center cowl. The slanting wind-
1917 Sun Sedan Automobile
In 1916, The Sun Motor Car Company, designed by Roscoe C. Hoffman, made his "The Sun Outshines Them All" Sun automobiles as a light six with 23 horse power on a 116 inch wheelbase with a price tag of $1,000. The president of the company was R. Crawford. Both he and Hoffman were formerly connected to the Haynes company. It was supposed to have been built in Buffalo, NY, but was moved to Elkhart, IN before production started. An initial order of 3,500 Beaver engines were ordered, but only 337 were made before it went into receivership. The purchaser of the assests was the Automotive Corporation of America which built a Sun model in 1921.
Accessories Manufacturing Progression
Motor Age Magazine
in accessory design bears a much stronger relationship to the car than is generally
surmised. The speed possibilities of the high-speed motor may be all attributed to the
engine engineer, but the speed would not be possible without ignition apparatus capable of
furnishing an adequate spark for all speed variations. The high-speed motor would not be
Production Demands The Current of Progress
has spoken, has uttered her voice in the car fields and accessory makers have heard and
responded. Production means simplification in design, the use of fewer parts, fewer parts
in carbureters, in magnetos, in startersand lower prices. Each week last year told
of lower prices in cars, but the fact that lower prices in accessories had made lower
prices in cars possible was not considered. But production has brought lower prices in
The Gadabout was 1914 model cyclecar with a side-by-side seating, 86-inch wheelbase, 46-inch treadwith a four-cylinder water-cooled engine producing 12 horsepower. The designer was Walter Gruenberger and the promoter was Phillip Heseltine. The company was Gadabout Motor Corporation that was located in Newark, NJ. The body was made of rattan.
At the January Chicago Automobile Show it had a 104 inch wheelbase and it had a standard body. Before the end of 1916, the Gadabout was not in existence and was replaced by the Heseltine model made by the Heseltine Motor Corporation.
The car is the new Roamer which is being built by the Barley Mfg. Co., Streator, IL, The Barley company also manufactures the Halladay car, and outside of the territory to be handled by the importers of the Lancia, the Roamer car will carry the name Halladay Special. Among the main constructional features of the Roamer chassis are unit powerplant, with the gearshift in the center and drive on the left, floating rear axle, a wheelbase of 122-inches, three-quarter elliptic rear springs, and 34 by 4 tires. The motor is a standard Rutenber, blockcast, which with 3/4 by 5 diamensions is said to develop 46 horsepower on the block. The cylinder head is detachable in accordance with the latest ideas of motor designers, this permitting of ready access to the pistons, cylinder walls and valves
1916 Roamer Automobile
The company was founded in 1916 by Cloyd Y. Kenworthy, an electric-car distributor in New York, and Albert C. Barley, who was then working on the Halladay in Streator, Illinois. Kenworthy wanted to sell a gasoline-powered car to diversify his product line away from electric cars, the market for which was quickly drying up by 1915. Kenworthy was disappointed by every other gasoline-powered car on the market, though, and Kenworthy and Barley went on to employ an engineer named Karl H. Martin to design their own car which would eventually be named the Roamer. The car was named after a famous race horse, which played perfectly into the car's planned racy lines and sporting intent.
They bought the former Michigan Buggy Plant in Kalamzzoo, MI and began to produce the Roamer automobiles in the fall of 1916. "With long and low flowing lines and built with a bit more zest than other cars of the day, the Roamer was considered a performance-oriented vehicle. It was also considered a fairly blatant copy of more recognized automobiles. The radiator shell, for example, was a near carbon copy of the Rolls-Royce, and continued to be so until the company's demise in 1929.
1920 Roamer Advertisement
The war years held down production for lack of metals, but afterwards, sales picked up during the early twenties. Because it was an assembled car, Its popularity was never achieved amongst the general public. A smaller version called Barley was introduced in 1924, but neither versions lasted long. That year, Bartley sold hs company that eventually was located in Canada and was shut down in 1929. Prior to this, Kenworthy and Martin had left the company and were building cars under their names
Motor Age Magazine
Owners to Get Model 6-30 for $482.50 Down
DETROIT, Feb. 11The Chalmers Motor Co. has made arrangements with the Agricultural Credit Co., Chicago, for the financing for dealers of the time sales of the model 6-30 Chalmers car. This is the model which was brought out late last year and which sells for $1,050. By the plan which has been worked out the customer is required to pay $450 cash on receipt of the car and $32.50 to cover the cost of insurance for 1 year and interest. The balance he pays in eight monthly payments of $75. The item of $32.50 covers interest on the notes at 6 per cent and the actual cost of the insurance for a year against fire and theft on 80 per cent of the list price of the car. The Agricultural Credit Co. buys the notes from the dealer or distributer less a very small brokerage. This concern is a large banking house which has carried on a farmer's credit plan for a number of years, enabling the farmer to finance his farm until revenues from crops came in, and its action in extending its field to cover motor cars is another instance of the recognition which high banking circles are taking of the motor vehicle industry. The directorate and official roster of the Agricultural Credit Co. contain the namesof some of the foremost bankers of thiscountry.
Another Detroit Manufacturer Arranges for Time Sales by Agents Rates Are One-third Down and Rest in Installments
Mich., Feb. 11Arrangements have just been completed by the Commercial Investment
Trust, with offices in New York and St. Louis, whereby Studebaker dealers have been placed
in an advantageous position to finance the sale of Studebaker cars on deferred payments.
On either of the Studebaker models the dealer is able to offer to sell the car to the
customer for one-third down and the balance in eight equal monthly payments. The buyer of
the car pays the regular list price. It often develops that a motor car buyer is anxious
to get his car immediately but cannot pay the full amount at the time. Because of
anticipated income, he can pay part and wishes credit for the balance. The plan of the
Commercial Trust enables the dealer to handle such sales without tying up his own capital,
and is a particular advantage for the dealer working on limited capital. The notes which
the dealer gets from his customers are converted into cash by the Commercial Investment
Trust, which assumes the collection of the notes. The arrangement with the Commercial
Investment Trust is not intended to interfere with local banking arrangements which
Studebaker dealers have, but is a provision for more extensive banking facilities, at the
option of the dealer. The Studebaker Corp. states that it has no financial interest
whatever in the Commercial Investment Trust, having simply been instrumental in effecting
the plan for the benefit of its dealers. The Commercial Investment Trust and the
Studebaker dealers handle their banking arrangements independently.
1916 Motor Age Magazine
The Louisville show marked the first public appearance of the Dixie Flyer, made by the Dixie Motor Car Co., Louisville, Ky. The Dixie Flyer has a four-cylinder unit power plant with floating rear axle, 112-inch wheelbase, uses the Dyneto electric system of starting and lighting. Dual exhaust eliminates back pressure on the motor. The body is streamline of the yacht type, finished in bottle green, the high-crowned fenders and radiators are black enameled and wheels are finished in a light natural wood stain. The interior appointment is carried almost to the point of luxury, appealing to every sense of the lover of comfort and elegance. The instrument board is covered with buffed leather and outlined with raised aluminum binding, the interior of the doors are covered with the same heavy grade of upholstering material as the cushions, and the floors and toe board are covered with deep-piled carpet of a tan-olive shade, blending into the general color scheme. The Dixie flyer is furnished with complete equipment, including one-man top, quick detachable side curtains, etc., and showing room in driver's compartment a full complement of tools. The car sells for $775.
1916 Dixie Flyer Touring Automobile
1916 Dixie Flyer Four-Seater Roadster Automobile
1919 Dixie Flyer, model H-S 50 had many refinements and improvements over former models
and came in roadster and touring types, both listed at $1,365 The seats are deeper and
wider, doors larger and the curtains open with all doors. Instead of rubber matting the
floors are covered with linoleum, metal bound. Celluoid windows in rear curtain have been
1920 Dixie Flyer Two Door Sedan
1920 Advertisement showing the Dixie Flyer automobile
Dixie Flyer Models for 1920
1922 Dixie Flyer Automobile Advertisement
Tired of the upheavels of the post war syndrome and the 1921 recession, the ownership decided to merge with the National and Jackson Companies and a corporation named Associated Motor Industries and Corporation was formed. The Dixie Flyer became the National model in 1924 ant that year all three models were gone.
1916 Motor Age Magazine
So far have the plans of the Columbia Motor Co., recently organized in Detroit, by some prominent men in the industry among whom are W. E. Metzger and J. G. Bayerline, been completed that a preliminary idea of the type of car that is to be manufactured is now given out. Built on a wheelbase of 115 inches, the new Columbia is a six that should claim a position for itself due to its very pleasing outline and general good looks. modern type of body design is used in continuing the hood on exactly the same slope as the rest of the body, using a cowl at the back of the front seat, rounding the front of the body over, and slanting the windshield. The car will be constructed of standard units with the motor a 3 by 41/2 block-cast six having a multiple dry-disk and three-speed gearset in unit with it. There will be a two-unit starting and lighting system
1916 Columbia Touring Automobile
Thre excutives from the King Motor Car Company , J. G. Bayerline, Walter Daly, and T. A. Bolinger, left and joined with William Metzer, maker of the former E. M. .F. company, and a former employee of the Oldsmobile company, A. T. O'Conner, to form the Columbia Motors Company and build the Columbia Six automobile. It was an assembled automobile with some of the best parts available. Its main feature was a temperature controlled device that controlled the temperature of the water. The touring model sold for under $2,000 and the sportster was priced at $1,475.
was a successful car that had increased sales ewach year. However, when sales reahed
the 6,000 mark in 1923, over confidence caused them to purchase the former B. F. Everitt
Company and the Liberty Motor Car Company and within a year both car companies went
February 17, 1916 MOTOR AGE
Gasoline and Whisky Booze Smuggling, a la Motor, Is a Very Fine Art in Arizona Extra Tanks and False Floors Used by Resourceful Bootleggers
PHOENIX, Ariz., Feb. 16Bootlegging has .become one of the principal industries of Arizona since the state went dry on the first day of last year, and the motor car is the principal tool employed by the most successful importers of the forbidden liquor. A young man named Reynolds and his wife owned a car and little else when the prohibition law went into effect. For nearly a year they made regular trips between El Centro, Cal., and Phoenix, each time carrying a number of kegs and bottles that were retailed at great profit to the thirsty of Arizona's capital. Finally they were captured and Eeynolds now is waiting trial. The officers at Clifton became suspicious of a young man who made frequent trips to Lordsburg, N. M., with his big Velie. They arrested him one night and examined the car. Beneath a false floor, which had been fitted in the tonneau, were 80 quarts of liquor.
It is said that bootlegging is more of a fine art in the mining camp of Miami than anywhere else in Arizona. One suspect recently arrested, had fitted copper compartments under the seats of his car which were full of corn whisky, when he was taken into custody. More than one machine has been driven over to California and shipped back to Arizona with the tank full of something that was not gasoline. Two Los Angeles youths made a business of stealing Fords in that city, loading them with liquor, driving over to Arizona and selling cars and cargoes. They sold the Fords so cheaply that suspicion was directed to them and they were extradited to California to face trial for grand larceny. It is almost impossible to import liquor into the southeastern part of the state without the aid of a motor car. Joy rides across the New Mexican line to such uninteresting places as Bodeo have become strangely popular. Sometimes the joy riders load the car with liquor but often they take along women friends who conceal the bottles about their persons. Even if some suspicious officer searches the car, he is not likely to be so ungallant as to search the garments of a lady.
1916 Motor Age Magazine
The Anderson 6-40, made by the Anderson Motor Car Co., Rock Hill, S. C, has the distinction of being the only car built in the South, and by building in the South is meant the construction of the body, all upholstering, painting, finishing, trimming, etc. The company, being controlled by the Rock Hill Buggy Co., utilizes that plant for the construction of its cars. The Anderson six has been in course of construction and through an experimental stage covering almost 2 years, and the result is a light six selling in roadster and touring body styles at $1,250, f. o. b., Bock Hill, S. C. This inludes a heater for winter use, moto-meter, power tire pump, cigar lighter, auxiliary seat, a search light which also may be used as a trouble light. Besides this there is included demountable rims, one man top, Crown fenders with splash guards, ventilating windshield, speedometer, hand pump, and repair kit. While the wheelbase is 120 inches, the total length of the frame is 162 inches. The tires are 33 by 4
1916 Anderson Automobiles, the first car to offer a heater as standard equipment
The Anderson 6-40, will be continued without mechanical change for the 1917 selling season. A combination roadster is the only addition to the line, and this is probably the most novel construction of any car that has been offered this season. The new job is a five-passenger roadster. The rear seat can be folded up and covered by a very simple operation converting the car into a two-passenger roadster. It is really a roadster and touring car combined with all the advantages of both. When the rear seat is closed the space between the individual front seats, which allows entrance to the rear compartment, is also closed by an upholstered panel which folds from the floor. The opposite side of the panel is covered with carpet and serves as a part of the floor when the rear compartment is opened.
1917 Anderson Five-Seat Roadster Automobile
The Rock Hill Buggy Company, Rock Hill, South Carolina, was no stranger to the automotive industry. An unsuccessful 1910 Anderson soon folded. They made commercial bodies for the T-Model Fords. They tried again in 1916 the Anderson Six was one of the most successful cars built. John G. Anderson hired Joseph Anglada, the designer of the Liberty model as his chief enginer. With Anglada's chassis and Anderson Motor Company's exemplary coach work, the automobile was an one of the finest. The automobile was produced in 1916 and the Anderson company was incorporated that December. The acceptance of the car was great and with government contracts, it was able to overcome the war years.
1920 Anderson Six
A high of 1,180 cars made in 1920 and was surpassed the in 1923 with 1,800 being made. This was their best year. They began to get cutsey and with a batch of bad Continential engines., the company was on its way down. A fatal fire in 1924 caused the factory to close down.
PACKARD PAYS CITIZENSHIP COST
Mich., Feb. 14The Packard Motor Car Co. has announced that it will pay the fees
required of any of its alien employes who may desire to take out first papers toward
American citizenship. This follows the announcement made January 31 to the effect that
only American citizens, or those of foreign birth who have relinquished their foreign
citizenship and who have filed their applications for citizenship, will be given
promotions to positions of importance, and that loyalty to the United States is a
pre-requisite to employment.
Other manufacturers soon followed Packards policy.
Three men, all from Chicago, Robert Davis who worked for a steamship company, Charles Bour who worked for an advertising agency, and E. C. Noe who was a railroad man, to Detroit to produce a car designed by A. A. Gloetzner. The car was put into production in 1916 and the press loved it. The radiator and the windshield were at the same angle. The sloping of the rear of the body gave it a distinctive style.
1916 Bour-Davis Touring Automobile
Copied from 1919 Motor Age Magazine
The Bour Davis car which was announced several years ago again is being made. The Louisiana Motor Car Co., Inc., Shreveport, La., recently acquired the former interests of the Bour-Davis Motor Car Co. and persuaded W. F. French who was connected with the Bour-Davis Co. to take up the building of the car under the direction of the new company. The Louisiana Motor Car Co. now is making the L-M-C truck and the Bour Davis car, the latter having been under active production for three months. The Bour Davis car is an assembled product, incorporating such standard parts as the Continental engine, Borg & Beck clutch, Muncie transmission and Salisbury rear axle. The wheelbase of the car is 118 in. and the approximate weight is 2900 lb. The Continental engine with its bore and stroke of 33/4 by 41/2 in. has an S.A.E. rating of 25.35 hp.Tires are 32 by 4, Goodyear. The car lists at $1,595.
It was advertised as a southern car made by southern men who understood the southern conditions that must be met in the South. However, it was the same car that left Detroit. Enough material for 700 cars was ordered in 1920 just as the post war recession set in. It went into recivership in 1921and struggled for two more years before going out of business.
1916 Motor Age Magazine.
The new car is to be manufactured in large quantity by the Liberty Motor Car Co., Detroit, one of the newcomers of last fall, which is headed by Percy Owen, prominent in the field as sales manager of the Chalmers company and later connected with the Saxon concern. Things have been moving rapidly since Mr. Owen organized his new company, and not only are the first cars on the road, but within a very short time the first production models will be coming through. At present only a five-passenger touring model is to be supplied, and this is to sell for $1095. The six-cylinder motor has a bore of 3/12 inches by a stroke of 41/2 inches, which dimensions give an N. A. C. C. rating of 23.4 horsepower The wheelbase of 115. inches.
1916 Liberty Automobile
The Liberty Motor Car Company, Detroit, MI, wa formed in 1916 with a capital tock of $400,000 and the automobile was to be a medium priced model with a most beautiful body. Percy Owen who formerly was the vice-president of the Saxon Automobile Company was behind the Liberty venture. Coming with him were R.E. Cole as engineer and H. M. Wirth as purchasing agent. The Liberty was a six-cylinder and was introduced in the summer of 1916. The first engine was a Contenential, but later the company designed its own engine in 1921. It had a very good beginning with 600 cars being made the first year and by 1919, 6000 were made.
Liberty Automobile Advertisement for 1917 Town Car
1919 Liberty Closed Coupe Automobile
highest production was 11,000 in 1921. The Liberty was relocated to a large factory, but
financial trouble soon followed. Because of failure of parts to be delivered on time,
automobiles could not be delivered. Reorganization was attempted without success in 1923
and the company's assests were sold to the Columbia Motor Car Company that used the
leftover parts to make a few more Liberty cars. In 1924, Columbia also went bankrupt.
1916 Motor Age Magazine
introducing its new line of pleasure and commercial cars the Brown Carriage Co.,
Cincinnati, O., does not claim them to be the creations of a corps of engineers, but
instead, that the machines are made up of assembled parts constructed by capable and
well-known manufacturers in the motor car line.
1916 Brown Automobile
The Brown automobile was built by the Brown Carriage Company of Cincinnati, OH. in 1916. It started with two ideas: the first one was four-cylinder, five passenger on a 106-inch wheelbase with a price tag of $735 and a commercial model that was prices at $675. The problem with ths car was that it was identical with a large number of other makers and both ideals did not last through 1917.
August 1916, MOTOR AGE
For the last few months there has been considerable talk of the sixteen-valve four-cylinder cars and the latest of these to be mentioned is the Aland, made by the Aland Motor Car Co., Detroit, Mich. This company is incorporated under the laws of Michigan with a total capital of $500,000. One chassis model with several body styles, but production will first be started on a five-passenger touring and a two-passenger roadster. The paramount feature of the design is the use of a high-speed sixteen-valve aluminum engine and in keeping with the intention to have the weight as low as possible throughout, the car will be characterized by a liberal use of high-tensile strength steel. Throughout the entire design the matter of price will be a secondary consideration and as a result this has not been definitely fixed although in all probabilities the car will retail for about $1500. While rated at 14 horsepower according to the S. A. E. formula, the manufacturer states that the engine will develop more than 65 horsepower at 3,200 r. p. m
1916 Aland Automobile
The Elkhart Cariage and Harness Manufacturing Company had been making top quality products since before the turn of the century, when in 1906, a decision was made to enter into the automobile market. William B. Pratt was the president and secretary and his brother George B . was the vice-president and treasurer. Instead of selling to agents and dealers, they sold directly to customers by mail order. Selling automobiles by this method was quite differently than selling carriages and their business was less than desireable and so was their car that was a high wheeler. After experimenting with their designs, they finally produced a excellent four-cylinder, five-passenger touring car in late 1909 for the 1910 selling season that was priced at $1, 600. A seven passenger followed in 1911. Their car was too high priced for their carriage trade and they decided to sell through dealers. When another company, Crow-Elkhart, started a company, the Elkhart was dropped from their Pratt-Elkhart. Their cars got bigger and so did their prices, but their sales did not. They offered only one model in 1914.
1910 Pratt Elkhart Touring Automobile
They reorganized their company in 1915 to Pratt Motor Car Company, but before the end of the year, it was reorganized again as the Elkhart Carriage and Motor Car Company with its model known as the Elcar. The Elcar was introduced in 1916.
1916 Elcar Touring Automobile
Their new model was a four-cylinder and priced at $795. They soon stopped making carriages and focused their attention to their new product. During the war years, they made ambulance bodies for the government in addition of making their cars. In 1921, they sold their company to a group that were former Auburn workers and the Pratts retired. The company was reorganized as the Elcar Motor Company. In 1922. they won the business for making 1,000 cars the Diamond Taxicab Company of New York City. The Elcar compnay's recognized their limitations and did not try to exceed them and they were prosperous through the 1920's. Recievership was temporarily avoided when the stock marked crashed in 1929, but it did not in 1931.
1918 Elcar Automobile Advertisement
four-cylinder five-passenger car at $888 with distinctive straight-line body and low,
comfortable seats is the initial offering of the new Hackett Motor Car Co., Jackson, Mich.
The body design is original, a straight line running from the top corners of the radiator
all the way back. In addition there will be a runabout at the same price seating three,
with the driver's seat slightly ahead of the other two, a cabriolet for about $1,000 and a
winter top for the five-passenger at $110 aditional. The chassis is standard with a unit
power plant consisting of a 37 horsepower motor, G. B. & S. clutch. Grant-Lees
gear-box, and Walker-Weiss axles. Wheelbase is 112 inches and tires are 32 by 31/2 with
demountable rims and Ajax
Hackett Roadster Automobile
Anslo Hackett owned the Disco Starter Company in Detroit and another company that bought bankrupt automobile companies. In September of 1916, he decided to get into the manufacturing business. He bought Benjamin Brisco's former Argo factory in Jackson, MI. His first cars were four cylinders and introduced that year as the 1917 models. The Hackett Motor Car Company's engineer, Fred M. Guy developed a rotary engine, the car remaine a four-cylinder for its short life span. Hackett demoted himself to being the general manager with an investor, J. S. Johnston becoming the president. The unavailibility of getting parts in 1918 caused a slowdown in production. Production resumed in 1919 to 12 cars a week. Reorganization was tried in 1919, but failed . David Buick, builder of the Buick car, bought the factory to build his new Loraine car. Hackett went back to buying bankrupt companies and Fred Guy produced his Ace automobile.
December 28, 1916 MOTOR AGE
The Yale eight, a new production and made by the Saginaw Motor Car Co., Saginaw, Mich., for the present, will be supplied only in seven-passenger form at $1,350, though the addition of a winter top is contemplated. The attempt to reduce wind resistance to the minimum is apparent in the body design. The hood is tapered to blend well with the rather deep cowl and the sides are perfectly smooth. The windshield is smartly raked. Great care has been taken to insure ex-cellent riding qualities and to this end the weight has been proportioned over front and rear axles only after long experiment. The spring suspension is normal in front, but in the rear there is modification of the three-quarter elliptic idea, which, however, does not appear unusual to the eye. The springs are 56 inches long. The motor is the Saginaw company's own product and is an eight-cylinder 31/2 by 41/2 inches and giving a rated horse-power of 31.25. The cylinders are L head with the valves on the inside and operated by a single camshaft.
1916 Yale Automobile
1917 Yale Speedster Automobile
Louis Lampke was a former engineer for the Palmer-Singer Motor Car Company in New York and the Lion in Michigan. He decided to build a car in Mount Pleasant, MI., of his own design in 1915. The car went nowheres. He went to Saginaw to see if he could find some interest in his automobile, but it received the same reception as it did in Mount Pleasant. However they were interested in the man behind the car and the Saginaw Motor Company was orginized in June, 1916 with four prominent businessmen behind it. These men held the executives positions and Lampke was in charge of production. The car was to be called Saginaw, but another company ha just started a company with Saginaw as its name. The townspeople were given the choice to name the car and Yale was its name. Lampke's original car was a four cylinder, but it was now put into production as an eight cylinder that was bigger and more expensive. The former Argo Electric factory was bought and production began in 1916 with a $1,350 seven passenger touring car. In 1917, a roadster and a rumbleseat speedster were built with a price tag of $1,550. In 1918, the price tag was now $1,885, but the company was in trouble and in March of 1918, the assests were sold to the Nelson Brothers to make their Jumbo trucks.
December 28, 1916 MOTOR AGE
very attractive body distinguishes the Kent, a newcomer in the passenger car field. This
$985 car has a four-cylinder motor and is assembled from standard parts. It is produced by
the Kent Motors Corp., Newark, N. J. The 2500-lb. car is powered with a Continental 31/2
by 5 motor and is procurable either in a five-passenger touring or a four-passenger club
roadster body. The body of the new Kent has a racy appearance due to the low body, regular
lines and rakish windshield and steering post. The body lines confirm with most recent
1916 Kent Automobile
The Kent Motors Corporation was a dealership in New York City that exported cars to Latin America. The original plans were to build cars in Havana, Cuba, but they built a factory in Newark, NJ. In 1916, the Kent Motors Company was incorporated for $200,000 with several investors and production began. Stock was offered in January, 1917. The Kent was just another ordinary car of the period. The investors behind the company proved its undoing for in 1917 when they were indicted for stock fraud. and convicted.
December 28, 1916 MOTOR AGE
Majestic Motor Co., Inc., formerly the Monitor Motor Car Co., New York, presents a
new car of medium size and distinctive lines. It is an eight-cylinder four-passenger
convertible selling for $1,500. This includes a luncheon kit, thermos
bottles, folding table, ice chest, and ladies toilet set. Mechanically the car is built up
on conservative design. The eight-cylinder motor has a 3-in. bore and 5-in. stroke, and
all valves are inclosed. Cooling is by thermo-syphon and lubrication by pressure feed. The
electrical system includes Atwater
1916 Majestic Automobile
The men behind this company were Harry Kitzinger, Frank Kately, Samuel Fein, and Max Monfreid. The only one who had any automobile experience was Kately who had been a sales manager for the Remington Motor Car Company. It was built on grand proportions with a V-eight engine on a 125 inch wheelbase. I was made in four body styles with prices ranging from $1,650 to $3500. Its catalogue described it to be such a car " that no description could convey a fair impression". Unfortunately, the picture in tha catalogue showed it to be just an ordinary car. It did not last a year.
Copied from the 1916 Motor Age Magazine
Daniels eight is to be built by the Dauiels Motor Car Co., the president of which is Geo.
E. Daniels, who was president and general manager of the Oakland Motor Co.,
1915 Damiels Touring with a Victoria top Automobile
The Daniels, made in Reading, PA by the Daniels Motor Car Company, was a distinguished automobile made by distinguished businessmen. George Daniels was a former President of the Oakland and vice-president of General Motors who knew how to handle business. His associate was Neff E. Parish who owned the Parish Pressed Steel Company and was a noted metalurgist and had built frames for some of the best car manufacturers in the business. It was known as "The Distinguished Car for the Discriminiting". Production of 300 cars began in late 1916 and was made for individual preference.
1918 Daniels Town Car Advertisement
Previous to the 1919 moels, Herschell-Spillman eight-cylinder engines were used, but in 1919 Daniels made his own eight-cylinder engine, but becasuse it had problems,less that 200 were made. His next engine was a 90-horsepower with that he used after the war. By this time his price range was that of the luxury cars and he decided to produce 500 a year. To do so he had to reorganize his company to Daniels Motor Car Company with 10,000 shares to sell with an extremely high yield. This caused a riff between the too partners and Parrish left the company. This caused massive layoffs and the company was in terrible shape. His office workers were used on the assembling line to complete what cars he had. The cars were terrible and had a price tag of $10,000 each . A company specialing in parts bought the company in 1924.
Copied from the 1916 Motor Age Magazine
The Maibohm roadster has been introduced and is to sell at $595. This car is of the light car type with low-hung and distinctive lines. This car is the product of the Maibohm Motors Co., Racine, Wis., recently formed and headed by H. C. Maibohm, formerly connected with the Locomobile Co. of America and until recently president of the Motor Supplies Co. Associated with him are P. C. Maibohm, former president of the Maibohm Wagon Co., and J. E. Foster. The company will produce 2,000 cars during the first year, two-thirds of which are said to be already sold to dealers. Particular attention has been paid to the comfort of passengers, the seats being unusually low and on an almost direct horizontal line with the pedals, which are adjustable to any desired leg room. The four-cylinder, valve-in-head motor is provided with three-point suspension and is rated at 14.4 horsepower, having 3 by 5-inch cylinders.
1916 Maibohm Automobile
The Maibohm Wagon Compny, Racine, WI, was owned by Peter Maibohm, a successful carriacge making firm since 1886. His son H. C. Maibohm, who had been previously employed by the Loconmoble company, decided to reorganize the family business into Maibohm Motors Company in 1916. His "All American Sports Car" was a four cylinder light car and was in production that fall. In 1918, the Maibohm was upgraded to a six cylinder. All but a small portion of his factory was burned down in December. However he was able to continue using the section that was not hurt. He made plans to rebuild in Racine, but later decided to build a factory in Sandusky, OH, in 1917. By March of 1920, his production was 30 cars a day. He temporarily went to New York to help with the Biddle Automobile Company until it went into receivership. When he returned to Sandusky, he learned that the Maibohm was also in dire straits. His creditors bought the company and a new concern, Arrows Motors, was given the rights to builed a refined version to be known as the Courier.The Courier lasted for just a few weeks.
1921 Maibohm Automobile Advertisement
The Year of Mergers
May 18, 1916 MOTOR AGE
Copied from the 1916 Motor Age Magazine
For the current season, the Stephens six maker is offering two bodies, a five-passenger touring car and a three-passenger roadster, each mounted on a chassis with a 115-in. wheelbase. The standard finish for both models is royal blue with gold striping and old ivory wheels, but on thirty days' notice, three color options may be hadBrewster green, maroon and black. Bearing the Continental stamping, the six-cylinder, block-cast motor of the Stephens six has a bore and stroke of 3 3/4 by 41/2 in., giving it a piston displacement of 224 cu. in., and develops 40 hp. at 2500 r.p.m.
1916 Stephens Roadster Automobile
The Stephans was the product of the Moline Plow Company in Freeport, IL and was road tested in the spring of 1916. It was named after G. A. Stephans, son of the company's founder. E. A. Birdsall, who had designed cars for previous companies, was the designer.
1920 Stephens Roadster
In 1919 John Willys, owner of the Overland automobiles, bought the Moline Plow Company. However, the Stephans was kept as a separate model and many of the officers stayed with the company. Because of losses that farming machinery was having, the Stphans was removed and reorganized as Stephans Motor Car Company with the directors staying. In 1923, the Stephans were made in two models with different chassis. In 1924, the Stephans car was discontinued and the company returned to farm equipment
Ned Jordan, former advertising manager for the Jeffery Automobile Company, decided to manufacture his own automobiles when the Jeffery company was sold to Charles Nash. In 1916, he incorporated the Jordan Motor Car Company in Cleveland, OH. It was not going to be just another American automobile. His cars were going to make a statement according to his artistic and poetic views. All of his automobiles were assembled, but they had the best parts that could be obtained. Production began in September of that year and by the model years end, 1,800 cars had been sold. 5,000 had been sold by 1918. His 1919 Playboy model was destined to be one of the country's most memorable automobiles. It was time for him to use his poetic talents to work.
Copied from the February 1818, Motoer Age Magazine
JORDAN TO ADD $200,000 CAPITAL
50 per cent increase in the production of Jordan cars, made possible by a largely
increased demand and the immediate acquistion of $200,000 additional capital, and the
placing of Jordan stock on a definite dividend-paying basis, is part of a plan announced
after a meeting of the board of directors following the annual stockholders' meeting held
1919 Jordan Playboy Coupe
"Some day in June, when happy hours abound, a wonderful girl and a wonderful boy will leave their friends in a shower of rice--and start to roam--Give them a Jordan Playboy, the blue sky overhead, the green turf flying by and a thousand miles of open road."
1919 Jordan Silhoutte Automobile Advertisement
1920 Jordan Playboy Coupe
1923 Jordan Playboy Advertisement
This famous advertisement would give him a seat at the head table in a hall full of advertisers. In 1923, he was traveling west with a lawyer friend in his private railcar. When he awoke from a nap, he looked out his and saw this beautiful young lady riding her horse. She looked as if she could be a champion rodeo rider. He asked his friend where were they. His friend told him that they were somewhere west of Laramie. This gave him an idea for his next advertisement and within a short time, he had his next advertisement completed.
In 1918, Jordan came to Amesbury, MA to have Walker Body Company make bodies for him. It was too much to ask at this time, but Walker incorporated a subsidery, Bryant Body Company, to do the work. This was for only sedan models. 1926 was the last year that Bryant made bodies for Walker needed the equipment and employees for his expansion.
1926 was Jordan's best year with over 11,000 being sold, but the next year was a disaster with a liitle over half of the production of 10,000 being sold. The Little Custom that was introduced that year accounted for half of the losses. The bodies for the 1927 models were made by Murray. This included the sedan models.
1927 Jordan Little Custom Sedan
1927 Jordan Little Custom Advertisement
The trouble with this model it was priced too high for such a small car and there were very few buyers and it drained the company's finances. Later in the year, his marriage was crumbling and his problem with alcohol was hurting his business. He hired Peerless' former chief executive, Edward Ver Linden, to take over as president. Jordan was seldom at the factory and couldn't be reached by Ver Linden. By the fall of 1928, Ver Linden was replaced by a former Chrysler man, John McArdle.
1929 Jordan Sedan Automobile
The Great Depression set in and as with a great deal of other makers, it spelled the end for Jordan. Reorganization in 1930 didn't help and it went into receivership in April of 1931. He taught the advertising world that it took more than mechanical facts of an an automobile to sell it; it took a dream of what one could experience with owning it.
1913 C. R. Paterson & Sons Advertisement
1913, portions of Ohio was heavily damaged by floods. The 1913 Carriage Monthly Magazine
sought information about the damages that the carriage industry had received.
city and immediate community suffered very little from the immediate effects of the recent
floods. However, we felt the subsequent results keenly indeed. For two days we were
completely isolated, no service whatever by railroad, telephone nor telegraph, and even at
this time normal conditions of communication are far from complete restoration. Our
business has suffered seriously in this way. For eight days we did not receive a single
piece of mail from beyond our local routes, and now letters are coming in ten days
overdue. We can not yet make shipments of our finished products in any direction, but arc
compelled to hold them in the crates. Our materials are held up undelivered, which causes
much inconvenience. To our
1913. THE CARRIAGE MONTHLY
few months ago we published a description of a new device known as the Patterson whipper.
This invention is used on storm buggies, and enables the driver to apply his whip in every
direction without opening door or window and without exposing his arm to the rain. It
operates on the ball-and-socket principle, cannot get out of order, and never rattles. As
the whip is firmly clamped in its holder it cannot be lost nor easily stolen.
In 1916, C. H. Patterson, owner of a very successful carriage manfacturing business, C. H. Patterson and Sons, in Greenfield, OH, decided that it was time to start making automobiles. His automobiles were superbly built as were all of his carriages. His first Greenfield-Patterson was a 30 hp, four cylinder coupe. This was the first and only automobile company ever be owned by a black man. He opened his factory for the public to see for themselves the quality of his cars and welcomed each one with a tour around the factory. He also made touring cars
1917 Patterson-Greenfield Coupe
In 1919, the company discontinued the automobile portion of the business to the manufacturing of buses and trucks. They continued to make them until 1939.
1920 Bell Advertisement
The Bell Company was organized in 1915 in York, PA, and was developed by the Bell Motor Car Company that was owned by Ernest P. Gilliard. He had been involved with the Pullman and Sphinx cars that had been made in York. Gilliard designed the Bell Automobile in 1915 for the 1916 season. The initial price was $775, but by 1921, the price had risen to $1,595. During that time, sales were adaquate, but not great. The company moved into the former Pullman when that company went out of business. Also, there had been two presidentss of the company. Charles Riess made the third one when he took over in 1921.and was going to make the Bell into his Riess Royal. It didn't happen and in 1922, the Bell became a victom of the times
Copied from the January 11, 1917, MOTOR AGE
1,525,578 motor cars built during the calendar year 1916, as compared with 892,000 during
the calendar year of 1915, it is not surprising that at the present Grand Central